Monday, November 15, 2010

Vayishlach - Sheini

1) The Torah says that Yaakov split his people into two groups, so that one camp should have the opportunity to escape in case of attack. Yet when Yaakov and Eisav do meet, Yaakov presents all his wives and children. How then were they split up?  I would love it if someone could draw one of those Football field diagrams, with X's and O's, to explain the set-up.

2) Yaakov feared the unknown. He heard Eisav was bringing 400 men. So what should he expect?  He prepared for all eventualities, by sending the gift, preparing for war, and praying.  This got me thinking, if someone sent the camera to Eisav's side, what was Eisav thinking?  Why did he decide to meet up with so many men, a militia?  Perhaps he didn't know what to expect either.  After all, he thinks Yaakov is a deceiver, so perhaps he decided to prepare for the encounter by not taking any chances.  Perhaps Yaakov is telling the truth but perhaps he is lying, again.  So if we fight, I'm prepared, and if it's just a reunion, he will know that I cannot be taken advantage of.  

It's awkward for me to impute honest motives to Eisav, after having been conditioned for thousands of years with a negative view of him. But I think it's a fair question.   Think about it: If Yaakov's gift and seven prostrations softened Eisav's heart, what was Eisav's intent when he and his 400 men set out to meet Yaakov?  It was less generous. But in what way?  War, or peaceful domination. I think back to Teddy Roosevelt's peaceful display of his American Warships. He wasn't waging war, but he was sending the message, "Howdy, friends. We can smash you, so don't mess with us."  Even if Eisav thought he would speak softly, he wanted to carry a Big Stick, actually 400 Big Sticks, when he encountered Yaakov. 

Yaakov's message to Eisav, "I don't want to fight. I acknowledge you as the stronger one."

3) I think the definitive analysis of this encounter, its prelude and aftermath, is to be found in the Beis Halevi. Although there are strong temporal connections to the Beis Halevi's times, end of 19th century Europe, every line of the Beis Halevi here also fits the Basic Meaning of the story on every level.  If I have time, I'll summarize it later.

No comments: